Our sauna tips to you
By now you must be all ready and eager for the full sauna experience. Before you head to the soothing heat, take our sauna tips with you.
• Most Finns go to the sauna naked, even with strangers. But, if you wish, you can wear your swimsuit or towel. But, for example at the summer house by the lake it is purely liberating to run to the lake from the sauna butt naked and free as a bird.
• Throwing water on the rocks will increase the humidity in the sauna and the steam will make you sweat more. If you’re going to the sauna with a bunch of others, you can ask if it’s ok to throw more water (löyly, in Finnish). Most often it is, of course, but it's polite to ask.
• Vihta is a bundle of fresh birch twigs with which you can whip yourself. Gently! The vihta extracts a unique scent and your skin will feel smooth afterwards.
• You can repeat the cycle of sauna & cooling of either on the terrace or in the lake as many times as you wish. Some sauna lovers do it for hours and hours. The daring ones roll in the snow in the winter time and after this refreshing thrill run back to the sweet warmth.
• After the sauna remember to drink cold water as you have sweated quite a bit. Having a cold sauna beer or a cider is popular while cooling of. Also cooking sausages either above the sauna stove or by a fireplace is both traditional and delicious.
And then, enjoy, both the sauna and the post-sauna bliss!
Explore the beautiful Now/here sauna experiences:
Get Cleansed and Enjoy the Traditional Sauna
Sauna Tour: SUP Fitness & Saunayoga
And discover more of the handpicked Now/here experiences!